Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Thing

Rated R Sci fi/Horror


Alright, I am not a huge Stephen King fan. Really, the only thing I like from him is Carrie. I've tried reading his books, and I just cannot seem to get through them! He spends waaay too long describing the garden or whatever. I can't get into it. I have seen some of his movies, and its not that he has bad ideas, theyre just weird or not executed to my liking. This all leads me to The Thing. Kevin was very excited to see it. I didn't think it looked terrible. He really liked the original, I hadn't seen or read it, so I was entirely clueless going in.

Heres the story in as much of a nutshell as I can give. It takes place in the late 80s. In Antarctica. In reality, those two things should have been my first warnings, last night, maybe because I was so exhausted, I was willing to give it a shot. These Germans, I think, find this HUGE space ship stuck in the ground and a little down the way, they find this big ass alien frozen in the ground. So they dig out the alien, are all excited about it, BOOM it shoots up out of the ice and is on the loose! They find him after he eats someone and figure out that they can kill him with fire.

Heres the tricky part! This alien is super cool and its cells manipilate into ours, disguising the alien as a human! SO we get into the whole 'the alien could be any of us' and drags on forever. That story line is super played out. And, after the movie, we figured out that there were 10 people left when they figured this out. Thats a lot of people to kill! Not to spoil the movie or anything, but thats obviously the point.

Kevin guessed a lot of the movie right, I totally guessed the plot and ending right. We're soooo over all of these "the killer could be any of us!" story lines its not even funny! Thats basically what any horror or thriller is about anymore! Its NOT creative, no matter how many 'twists' are thrown in, because in reality, we've seen this movie a bunch of times. Its just set somewhere different and has different actors.

At first I was kind of into the movie, mainly because I had no idea what it was about. But once we figured it out and then the ending dragged on forever, I was done. People actually clapped for it!! Are you kidding?! I sat there and said how it would end an hour ago and you clap?! Its really sad how lame most of the movie watching population is that they think that is a good movie. Hell the movie isnt even decent! The only thing I will give them is that at one point, 'the thing' becomes two headed. VERY rare, I cant think of a movie off of the top of my head where the villian has two heads, so that was neat. but that was all. And do NOT go see it just for that, just look up the movie stills online or something.

This movie gets 2 out of 5 stars and only for the two heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment